Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Easy Coconut Curry (Basic)

After sifting and sifting through recipe after recipe, I decided that Tina's blog, Oh Snap! Let's eat!, was that one I was going to try. This is the first, of many, curry from scratch recipes that will cook in my kitchen.

I didn't want to buy sauce packets like everyone else. So I'm experimenting. Didn't know it was that easy. Well, I still need practice to get the heat and spices correct or change my curry powder, but it was delicious.


Easy Coconut Chicken Curry (For vegetarians, substitute chicken for veggies)
Prep Time: 20 min      Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp curry powder (This time, I used Trader Joe's Curry Powder)
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp salt

1 tbsp oil
1 onion, sliced
1 tbsp crushed garlic (Or use 4-5 cloves)
2 lb chicken (I used chopped chicken thighs)
3 medium potatoes, cubed
1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
1 tsp cayenne


Directions:
In a big pot or pan with medium heat, melt butter. Swirl in curry powder. Pour the coconut milk in and stir some more. Add the salt.


In another pan, heat oil on medium heat. Cook onion slices until softened for about three minutes. Add garlic to cook with the onions. Then add the chicken to cook with the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes. Then add the potatoes to pan. Cook for another 10 minutes.


Now pour the chicken and onions into the other big pot of sauce. Simmer on low heat for half an hour. At the end, stir in some brown sugar and cayenne to your liking. That's it!!! Serve it with your favorite kind of rice (I use brown rice).

I had to add more cayenne since the Trader Joe's curry powder had no kick to it. After the cayenne, it started tasting more like curry to me. I will try many many variations of this basic curry to get the spices down.

Next time, I plan to make my own curry powder. Stay tuned!!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment