Thursday, February 9, 2012

Basic White Pasta Sauce

An hour before dinner, I did not have white pasta sauce on hand.  This is when I turn to online searches.  I found a keeper!!  This is going to be my basic white pasta sauce for life.

Usually when I browse recipes, I like to stay away from the ones that have half and half, sour cream, and heavy cream because they aren't in my kitchen on a daily basis.

White Sauce for Pasta from Cook.com
Prep Time: 1 min        Cook Time: 4 min
Serves: 2 (You can easily double or triple the recipe.)
Ingredients (for Medium Sauce thickness):
      2 Tbsp butter
      2 Tbsp flour
      1/2 tsp salt
      1 cup milk

Directions (copying and pasting from website): 

Basic white sauce:
In saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and dash pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.Make basic white sauce thin or medium. Add the other ingredients. Cook veggies like (mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, bell tomatoes, red peppers) etc. or cook seafood (in wok) works well.
Add to white sauce seafood or veggies and serve over pasta (linguini).


I also added 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of italian seasoning, and a generous dash or two of fresh ground peppercorns.  It was much healthier than store bought pasta sauce!

Ridiculously easy!!  Saved myself a trip to the grocery store and about $2-3.  Pretty happy with the results.  Try it next time you need white pasta sauce.


If you are wondering what else is in the sauce, langostino tails from TJ's, of course.  Sooo delicious!!

Enjoy!!!  ;)

2 comments: