Thursday, September 20, 2012

Macadamia Nut

Macadamia nuts grow on trees. They have two hard shells. Squirrels must have sharp teeth because it took me a while to open one. This was the first time that picked them off the trees.


When you pick the nut from the tree, it has a hard, green shell. After a couple days, the green shell cracks open...


When the green shell opens, it is fairly easily to get to the inside nut. You have a brown shell that is more difficult to crack that the outer one.


I had to clamp the nut down so that I could hammer the inside shell open.


After several hits, the brown shell finally feels the impact.


Here is a close up of the macadamia nut:


Out of the shell!!!


All that time and effort for one nut!! I go outside to crack one nut. After a minute or two, I attempt to crack another nut. Never timed how long it takes to unshell five nuts. They have machines that can crack hundreds of nuts within the amount of time that I cracked a few.

Just thought I'd share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment