Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy Year of the Dragon 2012!!! =D

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!!

May the Year of the Dragon bring LUCK, PROSPERITY,  and GOOD HEALTH to you and yours.


Note:
These daffodils from my backyard only bloom once a year during Lunar year.  I potted it as a gift.

A traditional dessert is sweet rice cake (nian gao).  I plan to make my own in the future but this time we were gifted Red Bean Nian Gao.  It has a soft, chewy consistency.  You could either microwave it for one minute (covered) or pan fry it (directions below).  I sliced them into rectangular pieces of about 3/4 inches in height.

How to Pan-Fry Nian Gao (Dessert): 
-- with two eggs and rectangular pieces of sweet nian gao

Whisk two eggs in a separate bowl.  As a little girl, I was taught to whisk by using my chopsticks in a vertical circular motion.  Dip each rectangular piece into the egg wash.  Make sure you flip it over so that both sides have the egg wash.  It's similar to how french toast is made.


Place a frying pan on medium heat.  Put a couple pieces in the pan carefully so that none of the other pieces touch.  Cover with a lid.  Cook three minutes per side.  Serve immediately.



ENJOY!!!  =D

Note:
There will be egg wash left.  I would recommend making french toast with it by adding 1/2 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon to the egg wash.  Dip bread and pan fry as per the directions above.  (Or you can cook the egg wash as scrambled eggs in a pan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment