Sunday, June 17, 2012

Salted Caramel Ice Cream

Summertime is a perfect opportunity to make sweet treats. I, myself, eat ice cream all year round but that's just me. Lately, I've been wanting to try a salted caramel ice cream recipe. My favorite one is from Carmela Ice Cream in Pasadena, CA.

Whenever I try a recipe, it means that I have sifted through many many of them until I finally have a winner. This one is from Cooking Light. Debated for weeks until I purchased heavy cream. Yes, I know that this recipe only calls for 1/4 cup of it but I usually make my ice cream without it.

Salted Caramel Ice Cream Recipe (from Cooking Light)
Cook Time: 10 minutes     Prep Time: 10 minutes
Refrigerate Time: 2 hours
Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups 2% milk (I used Vitamin D milk)
3 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp flake salt

Directions:
In a medium pot, heat up milk (but not to a boil). Whisk in egg yolks. Remove from heat.

In another pot, put the brown sugar, heavy cream, and butter in on low heat for three minutes. After the sugar mixture is done. Remove from heat. Add sea salt. Pour the sugar mixture slowly into the milk mixture stirring constantly.

Place mixture in the refrigerator for at least two hours. When mixture is cold, follow directions for your ice cream maker. (It takes about half an hour.)

When serving your salted caramel ice cream, scoop ice cream into bowls. Sprinkle some flake salt or sea salt on top of the ice cream.



Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment